Monday, April 28, 2014

Can An NFL Schedule Be Beautiful? Yes It Can!

It's not a surprise infographics have become so popular. In the world of social media, graphically inclined posts are more successful. Having information in picture form is much easier to read, plus it's more fun.

Later in the regular season the Pittsburgh Penguins started producing an infographic before every single game with 'need to know' information. Personally, I think the ones they make are hard to read. Most info graphics read top to bottom, but these have no sense of direction. Some parts read up to down, but others read right to left. I think they need to rework their format a little. An infographic should want to make you read it, not close out of it (like I do every time wondering why I continue to open them). Here is an example:
Photo courtesy of @PensPRLady
BUT don't worry, I have a beautiful infographic to show you. The 2014-2015 NFL schedule was released just a few days ago and the Green Bay Packers released their schedule in infographic form. I have to be honest, I spent more than a few minutes looking and admiring it. It flows perfectly and makes you want to keep scrolling. I have two favorite parts: (1) Starring last season's playoffs teams (2) The travel routes graphic, round trip mileage included. Click the link above and enjoy reading all the interesting Packer stats! 
Photo courtesy of @Packers

4 comments:

  1. Finally! For years I have been printing schedules that are bland and boring. I'm happy to see certain franchises are rolling with the times and are creating new and creative ways to get fans excited about the upcoming season (even if it is just another document to print). Being a Jacksonville Jaguar fan is not the easiest thing in the world but seeing something like this happening throughout sports helps me forget the previous seasons woes and get excited about the future of the program. It's crazy to think about the influence technology has had on the progression of the sports industry over the last 20 years and how that has affected fan interactions with their favorite teams. Infographed schedules might not mean a lot to some fans, but it does create a new dynamic for the fan experience that goes beyond what we have been accustomed to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The influence of technology on the sports world is huge, you're right. And I always get so excited for teams and leagues that take advantage of that technology. And where you said they are creating a new dynamic for the fan experience, I agree 100%. As I was writing this blog I was looking at the comments from Green Bay fans on their website and they LOVED the schedule.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad that franchises are starting to use technology for fan interaction! My uncle is a big packers fan so I have a feeling that I'll be seeing more of that infographic. I think we are going to see the NFL and other sports looking for more creative ways to interact with its fans especially on social media during game days. I know Syracuse University will post infographics after each game with stats and scores. I cannot wait to see how things change over the next few years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Infographics are so cool! The design brains that come up with the good ones are incredible. I took a design class once. It didn't go well! My designs tended to look more like the first one... Love the Packers! That Clay Matthews...

    ReplyDelete