Sunday, April 6, 2014

Look How Far We've Come

Over the past few weeks, a site letting you see user's first tweets has become very popular, and fun for that matter. I thought it could be fun to see what the four major sports leagues sent out as their first tweet. I don't think one is worse than the other, but I do not think any of them are great.

The MLB was the first to jump on board:
I guess they forgot the standard rule of capitalization? I also enjoy the fact that they explain how to shorten links. Why would the public need this from the MLB? This seems like an email from the supervisor of the person running the account...

Next was the NBA:
What does this even mean? Can anyone tell me? My best guess is something to do with the NBA All-Star game that took place on February 15, 2009. But your guess is as good as mine.

Third was the NFL:
Hey, thanks for the welcome... Oh wait. I wonder how many questions they received from posting their first tweet ever asking for submissions less than 90 minutes away from a chat. Couldn't they have planned a little bit better?

And last, but not least, the NHL:
I can only imagine what they tweeted next. The Stanley Cup had been won 10 days earlier by the Pittsburgh Penguins, so maybe it was about the Cup trip? Or about the draft? I think I'm giving the NHL too much credit; it was probably just a link to NHL.com... 

Thankfully, we have come a long way in the world of Twitter!

5 comments:

  1. Ha ha! The NBA tweet was definitely the best - or should I say the most Amazing?

    This reminds me of an article I read not too long ago about the first tweets from big name brands. Here's the link if you want to check it out:
    http://digiday.com/brands/first-tweets-brands/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so funny! The NHL tweet is my favorite because most of the time people or organizations use "details to follow" after they've made a big announcement... not because they've joined Twitter. It's ok though, we're all probably a little embarrassed by our first tweets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is hilarious. Given the fact that this social media outlet was new to the organizations at the time, there's not much more that could have been expected from their first Tweets. Thankfully, they've all improved. Twitter is my main source of information regarding sports so the fact that twitter caught on for them and is constantly being updated makes it easier for fans to the information they want, when they want it. For me, it doesn't have to look pretty as long as the information they provide is accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very funny! It is definitely safe to say we came a long way with twitter. I wonder if we will look back at our current social strategies and laugh with all the rising updates and features.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! I can see why this was popular. I bet tons of companies first tweets are just terrible! I agree with Carly. Amazing will happen... Soooo mysterious NBA... Can't wait to check out the article she posted to answer all my questions before I even asked!

    ReplyDelete